Sunday, September 28, 2008

Krakow - The Forgotten Post

Ok, I started this entry and forgot to publish it.

Krakow is the old capital of Poland. That title now obviously goes to Warsaw but Krakow is still a fine city. It has one of the largest squares of any city in Europe, and we were fortunate to be there on a Saturday night. During the evening there were many street performers entertaining the crowds and lots of pavement dining opportunities.

Earlier that day a group of us caught a mini-bus to the nearby Salt Mines. I forget the history but they have operated for over 700 years and were only recently retired and turned into a museum/heritage site. The place is impressive - many kilometres of tunnels through rock salt. Yes, you can eat the rock salt. Yes, you can lick the walls. No, it does not taste great.

The remaining time in Krakow was spent exploring the city (the central city is surrounded by a pleasant green 'belt' - a shady park with plenty of trees and bread vendors). Although we didn't have time to go inside the castle, I think I'm not alone when I say that Krakow Castle is one of the most impressive castles we've seen so far.

In fact, I think I'm going to rate it my favourite castle 'from the outside', and Cesky Krumlov Castle as my favourite castle 'indoors'.

No comments: